Last week we received the Windham Weaponry SRC (Sight Ready Carbine) for testing. Normally with a new AR-15, the first thing I like to do is install the backup iron sights and get them zeroed. But, the sights I selected haven’t arrived yet, so I decided to skip that for now and get this AR to the range.
To avoid using a lot of ammo sighting in a scope, I decided to use the ATN X-Sight. I had mentioned in a previous post that this digital rifle scope is extremely easy to sight in. And this range trip was no exception! I could probably get away with saying it only took 2 rounds to zero the scope, but I did make a slight adjustment a few rounds after the initial zero. So, I’ll go ahead and say it took 3 rounds to zero the X-Sight. But, I think it is safe to say that I would have used a lot more ammo sighting in a traditional rifle scope.
Speaking of ammo, because I’ve had such good luck with it in the past, I used HPR 223 Rem 55gr V-MAX (Factory Processed Brass). The total rounds fired from the SRC today was only 40, but I am very encouraged by the results.
The following Birchwood Casey targets give you a good idea of the type of groups I was seeing with the Windham SRC and HPR ammo. The left target shows 5 rounds (even though it looks like 4), and the right target shows 10 rounds (even though it looks like 9).
Of course, I’ll be putting many more rounds through the SRC. Based on this first range trip, I’m already expecting some great things from this rifle!
Other equipment used during this range trip included the CTK Precision Compact Shooting Rest, which is great for the AR-15 platform. And of course, I also used the Meopta MeoPro 80 HD Spotting Scope, which has become a “don’t go to the range without it” piece of equipment!
Windham Weaponry SRC (Sight Ready Carbine) Specs:
- Model: R16M4FTT “SRC”
- Weight: 6.30 lbs (without magazine)
- Length Overall: 36.125” (32.375” with Telestock collapsed)
- Model: R16M4FTT
- Caliber: .223 Rem. / 5.56mm NATO
- Type: Rifle
- Action: Semi-Automatic, Gas Impingement System
- Capacity: 30 + 1- Ships with one 30 Round Magazine (accepts all std. sizes)
- Safety: Manual Lever with Indicator Markings on Both Sides of Receiver
- Receiver: M4A4 Type Flat Top Upper Receiver
- Receiver Material: Forged 7075 T6 Aircraft Aluminum with Aluminum Trigger Guard
- Receiver Finish: Hardcoat Black Anodize Finish
- Bolt Material: Carpenter 158 Steel
- Barrel: 16” M4 Profile, Chrome Lined with A2 Flash Suppressor
- Barrel Material: 4150 Chrome Moly Vanadium 11595E Steel w. M4 Feed Ramps
- Rifling: 1 Turn in 9” – Right Hand Twist
- Stock: 6 Position Telescoping Buttstock with Windham Weaponry Logo
- Forend / Pistol Grip: M4 Double Heat Shield Handguards / A2 Black Plastic Grip
- Rear Sight: None – Ready for optics or other type accessory sights
- Front Sight: None – Picatinny Rail Gas Block – Ready for accessory sights
- Packaging: Hard Plastic Gun Case with Black Web Sling & Operators Manual
- More Info: Windham Weaponry