I spend the majority of my range time on the 100 yard rifle range. But, I’ve recently decided that it is time for me to put on my big boy pants and head to the 300 yard range. For my first outing, I was using the Kavod Custom KVD-15 rifle with Nikon P-223 riflescope. The ammo used was HPR 223 Rem 55gr V-MAX (factory processed brass).
My initial plan was to use a shooting rest during this range trip, eliminating some of the shooter error. This would allow me to focus more on what the rifle, scope, and ammo are capable of.
Unfortunately, at our 300 yard range, shooters are required to shoot through a small window from the bench (see the above image). The height of this window wouldn’t allow for the use of a shooting rest, and I didn’t bring any shooting bags. But like I said earlier, I was wearing my big boy pants, so I sucked it up.
The above target shows my last 5 shot group of the day. Given that this was my first time at the 300 yard range, I was very happy with this 5″ group. With a shooting rest or shooting bag (or better shooter), I have no doubt that this rifle/scope/ammo combination could produce even tighter groups.
As my shooting distance increases, having high quality equipment becomes increasingly important. So, it is only appropriate that I mention a few pieces of equipment that, quite honestly, I’m quickly becoming dependent on.
For longer distances (100+ yards), the Meopta MeoPro 80 HD Spotting Scope is proving to be our best friend. We were lucky enough to get this spotting scope in a few months ago, and what can I say… it is awesome! The image quality is great, and the MeoPod TP-1 tripod is rock solid! Without this piece of equipment, I would have spent the majority of this range day walking to and from the actual targets.
While I’m on the subject of targets, the P3 Ultimate Target Stand from CTK Precision is another item that has won me over. In the above photo you can see the oh-so-familiar shot-up wood target backer that can be found at many shooting ranges. Save yourself some hassle and splinters and pick up a P3 Ultimate Target Stand. It is extremely sturdy and very easy to transport.
Kavod Custom KVD-15 BET Specs:
- Caliber: .223Rem / 5.56mm
- Gas System – Carbine
- Stock: Magpul MOE Carbine (Collapsible)
- Grip: Magpul MOE+ Rubber Coated
- M16 Mil-Spec Bolt Carrier Group, Nickle-Boron (NiB) Coated
- Material: Stainless Steel
- Barrel Length: 16″
- Barrel Twist Rate: 1:8″
- Rail – Odin Works 15″ Sport
- Trigger Guard: Magpul MOE
- Muzzle Device: A2 Flash hider on 1/2″-28TPI
- Handguard: Odin Works Sport Forend -15.5” Free-Float Rail
- Bravo Company Enhanced Mod3 Charging Handle
- Ambidextrous Sling Mount Plate
- 2 Magpul 30-round Pmags
- Midwest Industries SPLP Sights (Added by ArmsVault)
- More Info: Kavod Custom
Nikon P-223 4-12×40 AR Riflescope Specs:
- Magnification: 4-12x
- Objective Diameter: 40mm
- Exit Pupil: 3.3-10mm
- Field of View: 7.3-23.6 ft @ 100 yds
- Tube Diameter – Other: 1 in
- Eye Relief: 3.7in
- Eyepiece Outside Diameter: 44mm
- Weight: 17.5 oz
- Overall Length: 14.1 in
- Adjustment Graduation – Other: 1/4 in
- Max Internal Adjustment: 60 MOA
- Parallax Setting – Other 100: yds
- Waterproof/Fogproof: Yes
- Matte Finish: Yes
- Use: AR (Modern Sporting Rifle)
- Reticle: BDC 600
- More Info: Nikon Optics
HPR 223 Rem 55gr V-MAX Factory Processed Brass:
- Part Number: 223055VMX-R
- Projectile: Hornady VMAX®
- Weight: 55
- Casing: Factory Processed
- Mzl Velocity (FPS): 3216
- 100yd Vel (FPS): 2832
- 300yd Vel (FPS): 2153
- Mzl Energy (FT/LBS): 1263
- 100yd Ene (FT/LBS): 980
- 300yd Ene (FT/LBS): 566
- More Info: HPR Ammunition
P3 Ultimate Target Stand Specs & Features:
- Innovative clamping plates apply pressure to the furring strips over a large area, providing a firm grip and hold on the furring strips (not provided).
- The 24″ angled legs provide a stable 4 point stance allowing the stand to be set up on uneven terrain.
- The legs can be pushed into the ground to stabilize the stand without the need for a set of stakes.
- The height of the main beam provides 3.5″ of clearance for uneven terrain, and is high enough to make use of sandbags as ballast if the ground is too hard to push the legs into.
- Width easily adjusts. With a minimum width of 5″, it can handle just about any paper or cardboard target, from standard copy paper and up. And, there is no need for a target backer.
- Sets up and breaks down in seconds. With large, easy to use knobs, there is no need for any tools. All you have to do is provide the furring strips.
- Robust construction. Made from 14 gauge tubing and 3/8″ rod, it is a durable unit and has an equally durable E-coat finish.
- Made in the USA.
- Parts Included:
- 2 Target Stand Support Legs
- 2 Target Stand Support Braces
- 4 Knobs
- 4 Large Paper Target Clips
- More Info: CTK Precision