It seems that people can, and will argue about anything. Gun safety rules are no exception.
ArmsVault Disclaimer: If we had it our way, everyone in the gun industry would get together and come up with an “official” set of gun safety rules. Then, these rules would be taught, retaught, and taught again.
Below are two of the most widely accepted sets of gun safety rules:
Four Rules of Gun Safety, by Jeff Cooper:
- All guns are always loaded.
- Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
- Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
- Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.
Fundamental NRA Rules for Safe Gun Handling:
- Always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
- Always keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
- Always keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.
Also be sure to visit our Gun Safety for Kids page.