A snap cap is a dummy firearm cartridge used to ensure that dry-firing firearms of certain designs does not cause stress and impact damage to the firing pin and/or the barrel breech. Snap caps are shaped like a standard firearm cartridges but contain no primer, propellant or projectile.
Additional Uses of Snap Caps:
- Allows the shooter to safely practice trigger pull techniques
- Can be used to test the functioning of extractors and ejectors
- Helps with offhand dry firing and smooth bolt cycling practice
- Used for safely training new shooters on how to handle and fire a firearm
- Allows tension to be released from hammer springs when storing guns