Not to be overly dramatic, but my first range trip with the Sig BRAVO4 Battle Sight has got me rethinking my optic of choice for a go-to AR-15 rifle.
First, a little background… Prior to this range trip, I was convinced that the best optic for my go-to AR was a red dot sight. My thought process was simple… A non-magnified red dot would get me reasonably on target when shooting anywhere from 10 – 200 yards, which would surely cover the majority of likely scenarios faced in a SHTF situation. However, there is a major flaw with this thinking… I’m not being honest with myself when I say I can be “reasonably on target” at 200 yards when using a red dot sight. In fact, due to aging eyes, my accuracy with red dots really begins to suffer when shooting beyond 50 yards.
So, now that I have publicly admitted to my red dot limitations, let me show you why the BRAVO4 has me so excited. During this test, the BRAVO4 was mounted on the Windham Weaponry SRC. This was also my first time using Headwaters 223 Rem ammo, which is produced by FOG Ammunition.
It took me 10 rounds to get the BRAVO4 zeroed at 100 yards. Windage and elevation adjustments were quickly made using the knobs located on the rear top and rear right side of the sight. Once zeroed, I could immediately see that the 4X magnification of the BRAVO4 was going to make a huge difference for me. The following Birchwood Casey targets give you an idea of the accuracy I was able to achieve with this setup.
The target on the left was my first target after zeroing the BRAVO4. If you exclude the outlier on the right, the group size is 2.71″. The target on the right, which was my last group of the day, and very representative of my results with the BRAVO4, features a 1.67″ group. *I did make a few windage and elevation adjustments between these two targets.
Without a doubt, the sub 1.75″ groups I consistently achieved with the BRAVO4 are a dramatic improvement for me, when compared to my typical results with a red dot sight. And so far, I’ve only fired 120 rounds while using the BRAVO4. I suspect I’ll continue to improve with more rounds fired. Stay tuned for more updates…
Sig BRAVO4 Specifications and Features:
- SKU: SOB44001
- Magnification: 4x
- Clear Aperture: 30mm
- Illumination Settings: 15 Day / 5 NV
- Sight Height to Optical Axis: 1.535 in
- Elevation Adjustment Range: +/- 30 MOA
- Windage Adjustment Range: +/- 30 MOA
- Diopter: +/- 2.0
- Exit Pupil: 7.5mm
- Angular FOV: 10 degrees
- Eye Relief: 2.2 inches / 55mm
- FOV: 53 ft @ 100 yards / 17.5 mm @ 100m
- Weight: 19.3 oz / 546 g
- Battery: CR2
- Waterproofing: IPX-8
- MegaView™ system utilizes an advanced prism and ocular design yielding 42% greater field of view than the competitive prismatic battle sights
- MOTAC™ (Motion Activated Illumination) powers up when it senses motion and powers down when it does not. Provides for optimum operational safety and enhanced battery life
- The notably flat, distortion-free image boasts an unprecedented edge-to-edge clarity by means of a combination of Low Dispersion (LD) glass and aspherical lens design
- Lightweight yet durable magnesium housing with integrated Picatinny top rail for additional accessories such as MRDs and lasers
- Adjustable eyepiece with +/- 2 diopter correction
- Dependable IPX-8 waterproof (to 400 mbar or 13 ft) and fog-proof performance
- The BRAVO4 was engineered with the centerline of the optical axis at 1.535” above the top of an M1913 Picatinny rail interface for night vision compatibility
- SIG SAUER® Electro-Optics Infinite Guarantee™ and SIG SAUER Electronic & Tritium Component Limited 5-Year Warranty.
- More Info: Sig Sauer Optics
Windham Weaponry SRC (Sight Ready Carbine) Specs:
- Model: R16M4FTT “SRC”
- Weight: 6.30 lbs (without magazine)
- Length Overall: 36.125” (32.375” with Telestock collapsed)
- Model: R16M4FTT
- Caliber: .223 Rem. / 5.56mm NATO
- Type: Rifle
- Action: Semi-Automatic, Gas Impingement System
- Capacity: 30 + 1- Ships with one 30 Round Magazine (accepts all std. sizes)
- Safety: Manual Lever with Indicator Markings on Both Sides of Receiver
- Receiver: M4A4 Type Flat Top Upper Receiver
- Receiver Material: Forged 7075 T6 Aircraft Aluminum with Aluminum Trigger Guard
- Receiver Finish: Hardcoat Black Anodize Finish
- Bolt Material: Carpenter 158 Steel
- Barrel: 16” M4 Profile, Chrome Lined with A2 Flash Suppressor
- Barrel Material: 4150 Chrome Moly Vanadium 11595E Steel w. M4 Feed Ramps
- Rifling: 1 Turn in 9” – Right Hand Twist
- Stock: 6 Position Telescoping Buttstock with Windham Weaponry Logo
- Forend / Pistol Grip: M4 Double Heat Shield Handguards / A2 Black Plastic Grip
- Rear Sight: None – Ready for optics or other type accessory sights
- Front Sight: None – Picatinny Rail Gas Block – Ready for accessory sights
- Packaging: Hard Plastic Gun Case with Black Web Sling & Operators Manual
- More Info: Windham Weaponry
Headwaters Ammunition 223 Rem Hornady 55 Grain Full Metal Jacket:
- Caliber: 223 REM
- Bullet: Hornady 55 Grain FMJ
- Brass: Reconditioned
- FPS: 2800
- Quantity: 50 Rounds
- More Info: FOG Ammunition
CTK Precision P3 Ultimate Shooting Rest:
- Construction: Heavy-duty steel construction.
- Finish: Durable E-coat finish inside and out.
- Length: 25”
- Width: 18”
- Weight: 7.75 lbs
- Three point leveling system and thumb locks provide sturdy shooting platform.
- Rear Shooting Pad adjusts to accommodate both rifles and pistols.
- Y Rest adjusts vertically to quickly get you on target.
- Marine carpet on Rear Rest Pad and Front Y Rest is durable and protects firearms.
- Protective rubber feet won’t harm work surface.
- Optional Attachments:
- Gun Vise Attachment: Converts the Shooting Rest to a Gun Vise in seconds.
- Pistol Post Add-On: Great for laser grip pistols and short barrel revolvers.
- Made in the USA!
- More Info: CTK Precision