To magnify, or not to magnify, that is the question. Well, maybe that isn’t “THE” question, but it is certainly something I’ve thought a lot about with regard to setting up a go-to AR-15 rifle. And the new Sig BRAVO4 4x30mm Megaview Battle Sight may be changing my thoughts on this topic!
First, let’s establish what I mean by a “go-to” AR-15 rifle. To me, this is a rifle that can perform well in as many different scenarios as possible. To be more specific, I want my go-to AR to be a rifle that I can use for close quarter, medium, and long range shooting (basically, 10 – 200 yards).
In the past, I have always set up my go-to AR-15 with a non-magnified red dot site. Of course, this is perfect for close quarter shooting. However, due to aging eyes, I really struggle with red dots as I get closer to the 100 yard mark. My hopes are that the BRAVO4 will push my comfort range out closer to 200 yards.
To begin our testing of the Sig BRAVO4, I have decided to pair it up with the Windham SRC. Although they aren’t shown in the included photos, I have also added back-up sights to this rifle, which I think is a must for a go-to AR-15!
Since this is only our first look at the BRAVO4, I don’t yet have any range data to report. However, I can go ahead and give you some initial thoughts, that I think are very significant!
My biggest fear of utilizing a 4X optic was that the magnification would make it ineffective for very close-range engagements (~10 yards). The last thing I want it to hear that bump in the middle of the night, and due to magnification, not be able to quickly sight in on a threat that is at the end of the hallway. But, for the last week I have practiced doing exactly that. Of course, the “threats” were actually every single decoration and knick-knack in our house (might sound silly, but if you have never trained like this, I would highly recommend it). What this training proved to me is that sighting in on a target, even at very close range, is extremely fast with the BRAVO4! I’m guessing that the huge field of view (FOV) provided by the BRAVO4 plays a big role in this.
So, I now feel very comfortable with the BRAVO4 when it comes to close quarter engagements. That is a huge deal to me! Now I just need to see how it performs at the range. And I can already tell you… the glass on the BRAVO4 is extremely clear. When you add in the magnification, and wide field of view, your’s truly might already be falling for this optic!
Stay tuned for more…
Sig BRAVO4 Specifications and Features:
- SKU: SOB44001
- Magnification: 4x
- Clear Aperture: 30mm
- Illumination Settings: 15 Day / 5 NV
- Sight Height to Optical Axis: 1.535 in
- Elevation Adjustment Range: +/- 30 MOA
- Windage Adjustment Range: +/- 30 MOA
- Diopter: +/- 2.0
- Exit Pupil: 7.5mm
- Angular FOV: 10 degrees
- Eye Relief: 2.2 inches / 55mm
- FOV: 53 ft @ 100 yards / 17.5 mm @ 100m
- Weight: 19.3 oz / 546 g
- Battery: CR2
- Waterproofing: IPX-8
- MegaView™ system utilizes an advanced prism and ocular design yielding 42% greater field of view than the competitive prismatic battle sights
- MOTAC™ (Motion Activated Illumination) powers up when it senses motion and powers down when it does not. Provides for optimum operational safety and enhanced battery life
- The notably flat, distortion-free image boasts an unprecedented edge-to-edge clarity by means of a combination of Low Dispersion (LD) glass and aspherical lens design
- Lightweight yet durable magnesium housing with integrated Picatinny top rail for additional accessories such as MRDs and lasers
- Adjustable eyepiece with +/- 2 diopter correction
- Dependable IPX-8 waterproof (to 400 mbar or 13 ft) and fog-proof performance
- The BRAVO4 was engineered with the centerline of the optical axis at 1.535” above the top of an M1913 Picatinny rail interface for night vision compatibility
- SIG SAUER® Electro-Optics Infinite Guarantee™ and SIG SAUER Electronic & Tritium Component Limited 5-Year Warranty.
- More Info: Sig Sauer Optics
Windham Weaponry SRC (Sight Ready Carbine) Specs:
- Model: R16M4FTT “SRC”
- Weight: 6.30 lbs (without magazine)
- Length Overall: 36.125” (32.375” with Telestock collapsed)
- Model: R16M4FTT
- Caliber: .223 Rem. / 5.56mm NATO
- Type: Rifle
- Action: Semi-Automatic, Gas Impingement System
- Capacity: 30 + 1- Ships with one 30 Round Magazine (accepts all std. sizes)
- Safety: Manual Lever with Indicator Markings on Both Sides of Receiver
- Receiver: M4A4 Type Flat Top Upper Receiver
- Receiver Material: Forged 7075 T6 Aircraft Aluminum with Aluminum Trigger Guard
- Receiver Finish: Hardcoat Black Anodize Finish
- Bolt Material: Carpenter 158 Steel
- Barrel: 16” M4 Profile, Chrome Lined with A2 Flash Suppressor
- Barrel Material: 4150 Chrome Moly Vanadium 11595E Steel w. M4 Feed Ramps
- Rifling: 1 Turn in 9” – Right Hand Twist
- Stock: 6 Position Telescoping Buttstock with Windham Weaponry Logo
- Forend / Pistol Grip: M4 Double Heat Shield Handguards / A2 Black Plastic Grip
- Rear Sight: None – Ready for optics or other type accessory sights
- Front Sight: None – Picatinny Rail Gas Block – Ready for accessory sights
- Packaging: Hard Plastic Gun Case with Black Web Sling & Operators Manual
- More Info: Windham Weaponry
CTK Precision P3 Ultimate Shooting Rest:
- Construction: Heavy-duty steel construction.
- Finish: Durable E-coat finish inside and out.
- Length: 25”
- Width: 18”
- Weight: 7.75 lbs
- Three point leveling system and thumb locks provide sturdy shooting platform.
- Rear Shooting Pad adjusts to accommodate both rifles and pistols.
- Y Rest adjusts vertically to quickly get you on target.
- Marine carpet on Rear Rest Pad and Front Y Rest is durable and protects firearms.
- Protective rubber feet won’t harm work surface.
- Optional Attachments:
- Gun Vise Attachment: Converts the Shooting Rest to a Gun Vise in seconds.
- Pistol Post Add-On: Great for laser grip pistols and short barrel revolvers.
- Made in the USA!
- More Info: CTK Precision