It seems as if I spend the majority of my range time using magnified optics at 100 – 300 yard distances. Consequently, I’ve fallen a bit out of practice when it comes to using red dots and iron sights.
For a while now, I’ve been testing the Windham SRC on our 100 – 300 yard range with great results. The rifle has proven to be extremely accurate at those distances. That being said, when I pick up the SRC, it feels like it was built for CQB style shooting. So, with the help of Trijicon and Samson, the SRC and I are going to begin brushing up on my close range skills.
Using my trusty P3 Ultimate Gun Vise from CTK Precision, I just installed the Trijicon MRO and Samson Quick Flip Sights on the Windham SRC. Actually, I’ve had all of these components on the SRC once before, but this time there is a twist. This time the MRO is attached to the SRC using the newly released Samson QR Trijicon MRO Base!
The QR Base, which weighs in at 2.3oz, installs (and uninstalls) in only a second or two. The Quick Release System can be easily adjusted to accommodate slight variations in rail size. I did make a slight adjustment from the factory setting while installing mine, but once the adjustment was made, it fit perfectly on the SRC rail.
One concern I’ve always had with Quick Release optic mounts is their ability to maintain zero. Samson’s QR mounts have been “return to zero tested” on the Samson range, so I don’t anticipate there being any issues. Of course, we’ll report back if we encounter any.
Stay tuned for more…
Windham Weaponry SRC (Sight Ready Carbine) Specs:
- Model: R16M4FTT “SRC”
- Weight: 6.30 lbs (without magazine)
- Length Overall: 36.125” (32.375” with Telestock collapsed)
- Model: R16M4FTT
- Caliber: .223 Rem. / 5.56mm NATO
- Type: Rifle
- Action: Semi-Automatic, Gas Impingement System
- Capacity: 30 + 1- Ships with one 30 Round Magazine (accepts all std. sizes)
- Safety: Manual Lever with Indicator Markings on Both Sides of Receiver
- Receiver: M4A4 Type Flat Top Upper Receiver
- Receiver Material: Forged 7075 T6 Aircraft Aluminum with Aluminum Trigger Guard
- Receiver Finish: Hardcoat Black Anodize Finish
- Bolt Material: Carpenter 158 Steel
- Barrel: 16” M4 Profile, Chrome Lined with A2 Flash Suppressor
- Barrel Material: 4150 Chrome Moly Vanadium 11595E Steel w. M4 Feed Ramps
- Rifling: 1 Turn in 9” – Right Hand Twist
- Stock: 6 Position Telescoping Buttstock with Windham Weaponry Logo
- Forend / Pistol Grip: M4 Double Heat Shield Handguards / A2 Black Plastic Grip
- Rear Sight: None – Ready for optics or other type accessory sights
- Front Sight: None – Picatinny Rail Gas Block – Ready for accessory sights
- Packaging: Hard Plastic Gun Case with Black Web Sling & Operators Manual
- More Info: Windham Weaponry
Samson QR Trijicon MRO Base:
- Material: 6061 T6 aluminum with steel QR mechanism
- Coating: Type III mil spec hard coat anodized
- Weight: 2.3oz. (0.14375 lbs)
- More Info: Samson QR Trijicon MRO Base
Samson Quick Flip Front & Rear Sight Package:
- SKU: QF-HK-A2-PKG
- Material: 6061 Aluminum
- Quick Flip Spring Deploy
- Front Sight: HK Halo
- Rear Sight: A2 Dual Aperture
- Front Sight Weight: 1.31 oz
- Rear Sight Weight: 1.55 oz
- More Info: Samson Manufacturing
Trijicon MRO (Miniature Rifle Optic):
- Magnification: 1x
- Objective Lens: 25mm
- Clear Aperture: 0.805 in (20.4mm)
- Adjustments: 1/2 MOA per click
- Adjustment Range (Windage): 70 MOA Total Travel
- Adjustment Range (Elevation): 70 MOA Total Travel
- Dimensions (LxWxH): 2.6×1.7×2.0in (66x43x51.0mm)
- Weight: 4.1 oz (116g) – with battery and without mount
- Illumination Source: LED Powered by a CR2032 Lithium Battery
- Battery Life: 5 years of continuous use on Day Setting 3 (5 of 8) at 70°F
- Waterproof Depth: 100 ft (30m)
- Brightness Settings: 8 Total Settings (2 for use with Night Vision devices, 6 day settings, of which 1 is super bright)
- Housing Material: 7075-T6 Forged Aluminum Housing
- More Info: Trijicon
CTK Precision P3 Ultimate Gun Vise:
- Construction: Heavy-duty steel construction.
- Finish: Durable E-coat finish inside and out.
- Length: 25”
- Width: 18”
- Weight: 8.69 lbs
- Three point leveling system and thumb locks ensure stability.
- Rear Vise adjusts to accommodate both rifles and pistols.
- Front Y Rest adjusts vertically to fit all firearms.
- Closed cell PVC foam on Rear Vise and Front Y Rest is solvent safe, durable and protects firearms.
- Protective rubber feet won’t harm work surface.
- Optional Attachments:
- Shooting Rest Attachment: Converts the Gun Vise to a Shooting Rest in seconds.
- Pistol Post Add-On: Great for laser grip pistols and short barrel revolvers.
- Perfect for gun maintenance, gun cleaning, and boresighting.
- Convenient hook for holding cleaning rod.
- Made in the USA!
- More Info: CTK Precision