It was a beautiful weekend, and the perfect time for some more accuracy testing of the Windham SRC with Burris AR Riflescope. This time, the ammo of choice was Lehigh Defense .223 Rem 55gr Controlled Chaos.
I’ve actually put some of this Lehigh Defense ammo through another AR-15 and was very impressed with the accuracy. So, what did the Windham SRC think of this ammo?…
First up, American Eagle 223 Rem 55gr FMJ
Before kicking things off with the Lehigh Defense ammo, I put a few rounds of American Eagle 223 Rem 55gr FMJ through the rifle just to get “settled” in. With this American Eagle ammo, I typically see 2″ – 3″ groups at 100 yards. As you can see from the following Birchwood Casey targets, the Windham averaged 2.19″ (1.75″ and 2.63″).
And now, Lehigh Defense 223 Rem 55gr Controlled Chaos
Once again, I saw some nice results with this Lehigh Defense ammo! My last 3 targets of the day (shown below), reflect an average 1.19″ group size (1.00″, 1.25″, 1.31″). I should also point out that, of the 18 rounds fired, the 1.31″ group shown was actually the maximum group size that I saw with this ammo.
Windham Weaponry SRC (Sight Ready Carbine) Specs:
- Model: R16M4FTT “SRC”
- Weight: 6.30 lbs (without magazine)
- Length Overall: 36.125” (32.375” with Telestock collapsed)
- Model: R16M4FTT
- Caliber: .223 Rem. / 5.56mm NATO
- Type: Rifle
- Action: Semi-Automatic, Gas Impingement System
- Capacity: 30 + 1- Ships with one 30 Round Magazine (accepts all std. sizes)
- Safety: Manual Lever with Indicator Markings on Both Sides of Receiver
- Receiver: M4A4 Type Flat Top Upper Receiver
- Receiver Material: Forged 7075 T6 Aircraft Aluminum with Aluminum Trigger Guard
- Receiver Finish: Hardcoat Black Anodize Finish
- Bolt Material: Carpenter 158 Steel
- Barrel: 16” M4 Profile, Chrome Lined with A2 Flash Suppressor
- Barrel Material: 4150 Chrome Moly Vanadium 11595E Steel w. M4 Feed Ramps
- Rifling: 1 Turn in 9” – Right Hand Twist
- Stock: 6 Position Telescoping Buttstock with Windham Weaponry Logo
- Forend / Pistol Grip: M4 Double Heat Shield Handguards / A2 Black Plastic Grip
- Rear Sight: None – Ready for optics or other type accessory sights
- Front Sight: None – Picatinny Rail Gas Block – Ready for accessory sights
- Packaging: Hard Plastic Gun Case with Black Web Sling & Operators Manual
- More Info: Windham Weaponry
Burris AR Riflescope 4.5-14x42mm:
- Item Number: 200333, 200334
- Magnification: 4.5-14x
- Reticles: C4 Wind MOA™
- Objective Lens Diameter: 56 mm
- Clear Objective Lens Diameter: 42 mm
- Ocular Lens Diameter: 39 mm
- Finish: Matte
- Focal Plane: RFP
- Main Tube Size: 1 in.
- Field of View: 22 low – 7.5 high (ft. @ 100 yds.)
- Eye Relief: 3.1 – 3.8 in.
- Exit Pupil: 9 low – 3 high (mm)
- Click Value: 1/4 MOA
- Elevation Adjustment, Total Capability: 42 MOA
- Example: 50 MOA is roughly 25 MOA from center.
- Windage Adjustment: 42 MOA
- Example: 50 MOA is roughly 25 MOA in any direction from center.
- Parallax/Focus: Objective PA
- Adjustable Parallax: 50 yds. – infinity
- Length: 13.0 in.
- Weight: 18.0 oz.
- More Info: Burris Optics
Lehigh Defense 223 Remington 55gr High Velocity Controlled Chaos Lead Free Ammo:
- SKU : 05220055S
- Brass jacket, air core projectile designed to progressively fragment for sporting use in rifles.
- Cartridge: 223 Remington
- Bullet Weight (gr): 55
- Box Qty: 20
- Velocity (fps): 3,100
- OAL (in): 2.245
- Penetration Min (in) Base: 22
- Penetration Min (in) Frags: 8
- Expansion Min (in) Frags Radial / Dia.: 4/8
- Suppressor Safe — The projectile is machined from solid bar stock. Expansion only occurs upon impact through hydraulic energy. (They only expand when they hit “wet.”) This is not a frangible bullet produced from powdered metal.
- More Info: Lehigh Defense