Today’s range trip gave me a chance to sight in the Nikon M-223 riflescope, which I just mounted on the Kavod KVD-15 rifle. I also had the opportunity to put a few rounds of Lehigh Defense 223 55gr Controlled Chaos Lead Free ammo through the rifle.
I began the sighting in process at 50 yards, which only took a few rounds of American Eagle 223 Rem 55gr FMJ from Lucky Gunner. I then moved out to 100 yards and made the final adjustments. I didn’t save any of those targets, but my groups were in the the 2″ – 3″ range, which is typically what I see from this American Eagle ammo.
Moving on to the Lehigh Defense ammo…
I didn’t have a lot of the Lehigh Defense ammo to test, but it didn’t take many rounds to see that I was going to get some pretty good accuracy from the ammo.
The image above gives you a look at my last three targets of the day. They are actually a very good representation of the accuracy I saw from this Lehigh Defense ammo. Of the three targets shown, the worst group (left target) reflects a 1.25″ group. Admittedly, there was some shooter error involved with that group. The middle target’s group is .75″, and the group on the right is .875″.
After today’s range trip, I can tell you that this ammo definitely produces some respectable accuracy. But, to fully appreciate this ammo, I recommend that you check out some of the ballistic gel testing that has been done. The wound channel this ammo produces is substantial!
The following video shows a gel test performed by the ShootingTheBull410 YouTube channel. This test gives you a great idea of what this ammo is capable of.
Note: In this test, he is using Lehigh Defense 223 Remington 45gr High Velocity Controlled Chaos Lead Free Ammo.
Lehigh Defense 223 Remington 55gr High Velocity Controlled Chaos Lead Free Ammo:
- SKU : 05220055S
- Brass jacket, air core projectile designed to progressively fragment for sporting use in rifles.
- Cartridge: 223 Remington
- Bullet Weight (gr): 55
- Box Qty: 20
- Velocity (fps): 3,100
- OAL (in): 2.245
- Penetration Min (in) Base: 22
- Penetration Min (in) Frags: 8
- Expansion Min (in) Frags Radial / Dia.: 4/8
- Suppressor Safe — The projectile is machined from solid bar stock. Expansion only occurs upon impact through hydraulic energy. (They only expand when they hit “wet.”) This is not a frangible bullet produced from powdered metal.
- More Info: Lehigh Defense
Kavod Custom KVD-15 BET Specs:
- Caliber: .223Rem / 5.56mm
- Gas System – Carbine
- Stock: Magpul MOE Carbine (Collapsible)
- Grip: Magpul MOE+ Rubber Coated
- M16 Mil-Spec Bolt Carrier Group, Nickle-Boron (NiB) Coated
- Material: Stainless Steel
- Barrel Length: 16″
- Barrel Twist Rate: 1:8″
- Rail – Odin Works 15″ Sport
- Trigger Guard: Magpul MOE
- Muzzle Device: A2 Flash hider on 1/2″-28TPI
- Handguard: Odin Works Sport Forend -15.5” Free-Float Rail
- Bravo Company Enhanced Mod3 Charging Handle
- Ambidextrous Sling Mount Plate
- 2 Magpul 30-round Pmags
- More Info: Kavod Custom
Nikon M-223 4-16X42 BDC 600:
- Magnification: 4 – 16 x
- Objective Diameter: 42 mm
- Exit Pupil: 2.6 – 10.5 mm
- Field of View: 6.3 – 25.2 ft @ 100 yds
- Tube Diameter – Other: 1 in
- Eye Relief: 3.7 – 4 in
- Objective Outside Diameter: 49.3 mm
- Eyepiece Outside Diameter: 42 mm
- Weight: 19 oz
- Overall Length: 13.5 in
- Adjustment Graduation – Other: 1/4 in
- Max Internal Adjustment: 40 MOA
- Parallax Setting – Other: 50 yds – ∞
- Side Focus: Yes
- Waterproof/Fogproof: Yes
- Light Transmission – Other: Up to 95%
- Spot On Custom Turret Yes
- Parallax Adjustment: Yes
- Matte Finish: Yes
- Centerfire Long Range
- AR (Modern Sporting Rifle)
- Reticle: BDC 600
- More Info: Nikon Sport Optics
- Kavod Custom KVD-15 BET
- Nikon M-223
- Lehigh Defense 223 55gr Controlled Chaos Lead Free ammo
- CTK Precision P3 Ultimate Shooting Rest
- Voodoo Tactical Rifle Case
- AR500 Armor Tactical Emergency Personal Injury Kit
- Birchwood Casey Shoot•N•C 8″ Sight-In Target