It is finally time to get in some accuracy testing of the Windham SRC. The riflescope we will be kicking things off with is the Nikon M-223 4-16×42 with BDC 600 reticle. Of course, the first step was to install the riflescope while ensuring proper crosshair alignment.
So, what is crosshair alignment? Crosshair alignment is the process of ensuring that the crosshairs of your riflescope are straight, in relationship to your rifle bore. If done properly, the vertical reticle axis should pass through the center of the rifle bore. Even a slight cant of the riflescope can cause significant aiming errors!
The tools we used for ensuring proper crosshair alignment of the Nikon M-223 riflescope include a couple products from CTK Precision. The P3 Ultimate Gun Vise was used to secure the rifle, while the All Purpose Gun Level ensured that the rifle was level.
CTK Precision All Purpose Gun Level Instructions:
- Using the P3 Ultimate Gun Vise, secure the firearm for leveling.
- Install the All Purpose Gun Level on a flat part of your firearm.
- Using the leveling legs on the P3 Ultimate Gun Vise, level the firearm. Use the All Purpose Gun Level to determine when the firearm is level.
- Look through your scope at a vertical reference line to see if your crosshairs are straight. If they are not, loosen the scope mount screws and align them with the vertical reference line.
The vertical reference line can be any straight vertical edge. Example: A door jam, a hanging weighted string, a vertical pole, a leveled target. Make sure your vertical reference line is vertical by checking with a carpenter’s level first. For my vertical reference line, I tied a 5.56 round to the end of a string and hung it from the ceiling.
Nikon M-223 4-16X42 BDC 600:
- Magnification: 4 – 16 x
- Objective Diameter: 42 mm
- Exit Pupil: 2.6 – 10.5 mm
- Field of View: 6.3 – 25.2 ft @ 100 yds
- Tube Diameter – Other: 1 in
- Eye Relief: 3.7 – 4 in
- Objective Outside Diameter: 49.3 mm
- Eyepiece Outside Diameter: 42 mm
- Weight: 19 oz
- Overall Length: 13.5 in
- Adjustment Graduation – Other: 1/4 in
- Max Internal Adjustment: 40 MOA
- Parallax Setting – Other: 50 yds – ∞
- Side Focus: Yes
- Waterproof/Fogproof: Yes
- Light Transmission – Other: Up to 95%
- Spot On Custom Turret Yes
- Parallax Adjustment: Yes
- Matte Finish: Yes
- Centerfire Long Range
- AR (Modern Sporting Rifle)
- Reticle: BDC 600
- More Info: Nikon Sport Optics
Windham Weaponry SRC (Sight Ready Carbine) Specs:
- Model: R16M4FTT “SRC”
- Weight: 6.30 lbs (without magazine)
- Length Overall: 36.125” (32.375” with Telestock collapsed)
- Model: R16M4FTT
- Caliber: .223 Rem. / 5.56mm NATO
- Type: Rifle
- Action: Semi-Automatic, Gas Impingement System
- Capacity: 30 + 1- Ships with one 30 Round Magazine (accepts all std. sizes)
- Safety: Manual Lever with Indicator Markings on Both Sides of Receiver
- Receiver: M4A4 Type Flat Top Upper Receiver
- Receiver Material: Forged 7075 T6 Aircraft Aluminum with Aluminum Trigger Guard
- Receiver Finish: Hardcoat Black Anodize Finish
- Bolt Material: Carpenter 158 Steel
- Barrel: 16” M4 Profile, Chrome Lined with A2 Flash Suppressor
- Barrel Material: 4150 Chrome Moly Vanadium 11595E Steel w. M4 Feed Ramps
- Rifling: 1 Turn in 9” – Right Hand Twist
- Stock: 6 Position Telescoping Buttstock with Windham Weaponry Logo
- Forend / Pistol Grip: M4 Double Heat Shield Handguards / A2 Black Plastic Grip
- Rear Sight: None – Ready for optics or other type accessory sights
- Front Sight: None – Picatinny Rail Gas Block – Ready for accessory sights
- Packaging: Hard Plastic Gun Case with Black Web Sling & Operators Manual
- More Info: Windham Weaponry