For the last few months, we have been putting rounds through the Rock Island Armory 1911. To be more precise, the Rock Island Armory TCM TAC Ultra Combo. The “Combo” portion of its name comes from the fact that it is chambered in .22 TCM, but includes a 9mm conversion barrel.
Although the ballistics of the two rounds are different, the felt recoil seems fairly similar. But that doesn’t mean you can’t tell the difference between the two rounds. The awesome muzzle-blast halo is a sure sign that you just fired a .22 TCM round. But how do the two rounds compare with regard to accuracy?
During today’s range trip I compared the accuracy of the Armscor .22 TCM round with Sig Sauer’s Elite Performance 9mm 115gr FMJ. The testing was done at 7 and 20 yards. Because I forgot to bring my shooting rest, I used my range bag for stability. (That’s what happens when your wife empties out the back of your car to make room for Christmas shopping!)
It should probably be pointed out that this isn’t necessarily a comparison of the quality of each ammunition. After all, each caliber is being fired from a completely different barrel. That in itself could produce different results. Either way, I still wanted to know what kind of accuracy I could achieve with each caliber from the RIA 1911.
The following targets are a good representation of the results I saw from each caliber at 7 and 20 yards:
So, was there a difference in accuracy between the .22 TCM and 9mm? If there was, it sure wasn’t much. The pistol was very accurate with both calibers, making this “Combo” 1911 an appealing package.
Rock Island Armory TCM TAC Ultra FS Combo Specs:
- Model: 51961
- Caliber: 22 TCM / 9mm
- Rounds: 10
- Front: Orange Fiber-Optic
- Rear: Elevation & Windage White Dot
- Length: 8.75 inch / 222.25 mm
- Height: 5.5 inch / 139.70 mm
- Grips: G10
- Frame: Parkerized
- Slide: Parkerized
- Barrel Length: 5 inch / 127 mm
- Grooves: 6
- Trigger Pull: 4 – 6 lbs / 1.81 – 2.72 kg
- Length of Twist: 1 in 16″
- More Info: Rock Island Armory
Armscor 22 TCM:
- Caliber: 22 TCM
- Grain Weight: 40
- Bullet Type: JHP
- Muzzle Velocity: 1,875 fps
- Muzzle Energy: 312 ft/lbs
- Velocity at 100yds: 1,480 fps
- More Info: Armscor
Sig Sauer Elite Performance 9mm 115gr FMJ:
- Caliber: 9mm
- Grain: 115
- Bullet Type: FMJ
- Muzzle Velocity: 1,185 ft/sec
- Muzzle Energy: 359 ft/lbs
- Manufactured to SIG SAUER exacting standards
- Durable copper jacketed bullets stay with the lead at impact
- Solid brass cartridges
- Dependable primers combined with clean-burning powders ensure reduced barrel fouling and more reliable functioning
- More Info: Sig Sauer Ammunition
Birchwood Casey Shoot•N•C 8″ Bull’s-eye Target:
- Bullet holes are revealed with bright chartreuse rings.
- Self-adhesive backing makes targets easy to put up.
- Instant feedback – no need to walk downrange or use binoculars to see your shot.
- Great for indoor or outdoor use and low-light conditions.
- More Info: Birchwood Casey