Admittedly, I don’t spend a lot of time shooting with iron sights. Of course, I want them as a backup on any AR-15 I am using. But, once they are installed and zeroed, I tend to forget about them.
During my last range trip I came to realize that ignoring iron sights has probably been a mistake. My goal of this trip was simple… zero the Samson Quick Flip Sights that I recently mounted on the Windham Weaponry SRC. Unfortunately, after only a few rounds I was forced to come to a disappointing realization… My vision is not what it once was!
When I think about it, it is no wonder I haven’t really noticed the decline in my vision before now. After all, look at the above photo… Top of the line Meopta MeoPro HD Spotting Scope, high visibility Shoot-N-C targets from Birchwood Casey, and the P3 Ultimate Shooting Rest, which undoubtedly compensates for a shooter’s limitations. I’ve been surrounding myself with gear that has sheltered me from the effects of aging eyes.
Don’t get me wrong… I would highly recommend all of the aforementioned gear. However, this range trip has been a reminder that it is important to not overlook the basics. Clearly, I have not been training with iron sights as I should have. Otherwise, I probably would have noticed my declining vision before now.
So, the moral of this post… Don’t forget to train with those backup sights! I know it is easy to focus only on the fancy red dots and riflescopes, but those backup iron sights are there for a reason. If you ever find yourself in a bad situation, and experience a failure with your optic, that is not the best time to find out that you aren’t proficient with your backup sights. Also, it is recommended that adults get an eye exam every 1 – 2 years.
Windham Weaponry SRC (Sight Ready Carbine) Specs:
- Model: R16M4FTT “SRC”
- Weight: 6.30 lbs (without magazine)
- Length Overall: 36.125” (32.375” with Telestock collapsed)
- Model: R16M4FTT
- Caliber: .223 Rem. / 5.56mm NATO
- Type: Rifle
- Action: Semi-Automatic, Gas Impingement System
- Capacity: 30 + 1- Ships with one 30 Round Magazine (accepts all std. sizes)
- Safety: Manual Lever with Indicator Markings on Both Sides of Receiver
- Receiver: M4A4 Type Flat Top Upper Receiver
- Receiver Material: Forged 7075 T6 Aircraft Aluminum with Aluminum Trigger Guard
- Receiver Finish: Hardcoat Black Anodize Finish
- Bolt Material: Carpenter 158 Steel
- Barrel: 16” M4 Profile, Chrome Lined with A2 Flash Suppressor
- Barrel Material: 4150 Chrome Moly Vanadium 11595E Steel w. M4 Feed Ramps
- Rifling: 1 Turn in 9” – Right Hand Twist
- Stock: 6 Position Telescoping Buttstock with Windham Weaponry Logo
- Forend / Pistol Grip: M4 Double Heat Shield Handguards / A2 Black Plastic Grip
- Rear Sight: None – Ready for optics or other type accessory sights
- Front Sight: None – Picatinny Rail Gas Block – Ready for accessory sights
- Packaging: Hard Plastic Gun Case with Black Web Sling & Operators Manual
- More Info: Windham Weaponry
Quick Flip Front & Rear Sight Package:
- SKU: QF-HK-A2-PKG
- Material: 6061 Aluminum
- Quick Flip Spring Deploy
- Front Sight: HK Halo
- Rear Sight: A2 Dual Aperture
- Front Sight Weight: 1.31 oz
- Rear Sight Weight: 1.55 oz
- More Info: Samson Manufacturing
Meopta MeoPro 80 HD Spotting Scope Specs & Features:
- Objective Lens (mm): 80mm fluoride lens
- Eyepiece: Integrated 20x-60x eyepiece with twist-up eyecup
- Body type: Angled
- Lens Coatings: MeoBright, MeoShield
- Length w/eyepiece (in): 14.36 in
- Weight (oz): 67.2 oz
- Close Focus (ft): 18 ft
- Focus control: CentricDrive, oversized, mid-body
- Focus rotation: 2 rotations from close focus to infinity
- Chassis material: Magnesium alloy
- Armor: Full rubber armor
- Tripod Collar: Rotating, integrated tripod foot (no adapter required)
- Waterproof: yes
- Nitrogen Purged: yes
- Shockproof: yes
- Exit Pupil (mm): Min – 1.4mm, Max – 4.05mm
- Eye Relief: Min – 18mm, Max – 20mm
- FOV (degrees): Min – 1.2º, Max – 2º
- FOV ft. @1000 yds: Min – 63 ft. Max – 105 ft.
- Apparent FOV (degrees): Min – 40º, Max – 60º
- Key Features:
- Built in the USA
- TO2™ (Twilight Optimized Optics) system delivers the highest light transmission when you need it most – in the low light of dawn and dusk.
- Proprietary ion assisted lens coatings. MeoBright™ coating eliminates glare and reflections and delivers incredibly bright (98.7% transmission per lens surface) and sharp images across the field of view. MeoShield™ coating protects external lens surfaces from abrasions and scratches.
- HD Fluoride objective lens element eliminates chromatic aberration (CA) or color fringing by bringing light wavelengths into a single common focus along the optical axis – delivering maximum resolution and vivid color fidelity in challenging lighting conditions.
- Centric Drive™ is an oversized, mid-body focus control featuring a large rubberized wheel that is easy to manipulate for fine focus requirements or when moving rapidly from close subjects to extended distances. CentricDrive™ is comfortable to use and easily accommodates users wearing thick gloves or users with limited grasping ability.
- Integrated tripod foot works with most tripod interfaces without the need for an adapter.
- Covered by Meopta’s North American Lifetime Transferable Warranty.
- More Info: Meopta
CTK Precision P3 Ultimate Gun Vise:
- Construction: Heavy-duty steel construction.
- Finish: Durable E-coat finish inside and out.
- Length: 25”
- Width: 18”
- Weight: 8.69 lbs
- Three point leveling system and thumb locks ensure stability.
- Rear Vise adjusts to accommodate both rifles and pistols.
- Front Y Rest adjusts vertically to fit all firearms.
- Closed cell PVC foam on Rear Vise and Front Y Rest is solvent safe, durable and protects firearms.
- Protective rubber feet won’t harm work surface.
- Optional Attachments:
- Shooting Rest Attachment: Converts the Gun Vise to a Shooting Rest in seconds.
- Pistol Post Add-On: Great for laser grip pistols and short barrel revolvers.
- Perfect for gun maintenance, gun cleaning, and boresighting.
- Convenient hook for holding cleaning rod.
- Made in the USA!
- More Info: CTK Precision