The P3 Ultimate Target Stand by CTK Precision: Simplicity, Versatility, and Adaptability all in one package.
When I first opened the shipping package containing the parts for the P3, I thought to myself, “Really? Is this all there is to it?” but as I have learned throughout my life (usually the hard way), don’t let first impressions fool you. After assembling and using the P3, I developed a whole new appreciation for that little package of parts. The entire experience left me with one of those moments where you say, “Why didn’t I think of that?”
The package itself contains:
- 2 Support Legs
- 2 Support Braces
- 4 Knobs
- 4 Large Paper Clips (Yes, they really are giant paper clips like you’d buy at an office supply)
What you supply:
- 1”X2” Wooden Furring Strips (an 8’ stick was running about $.99 each at my local home improvement store)
- Paper Targets
- Unbelievably simple set up and take down – No tools required. You just slide the furring strips into the braces and tighten the knobs.
- Powder coated all metal construction – Lightweight but solid.
- Portable – As the picture shows, I was able to pack the whole kit in my range bag.
- Fully adjustable – You can make it as short, tall, wide, or narrow to fit the target or your heart’s desire.
- Holds a wide variety of targets – Pretty much any paper target you can buy or make will work. Just paper clip or staple it to the furring strips and start shooting (CTK also offers a bottle holder kit for the P3, if you wanna go old school).
- Larger paper targets may flutter if you don’t get them tight – Using a piece of cardboard as a backer eliminates this problem and also lets you use adhesive backed targets too.
- Tall targets can make it top heavy and prone to tip over if there’s a really strong wind – This is easily remedied by pushing the support legs into the ground or by using sandbags or stakes (I had a couple of push stakes that had come with an old Christmas decoration that worked perfectly).
- The price – The P3 lists for $60 on the CTK Precision website and as I said earlier, when you first open the kit, you may think it’s a little pricey for what it appears you are getting? However, in my opinion, what you’re actually paying for is the versatility those pieces give you.
My two cents worth
After using the “P3 Ultimate Target Stand” by CTK Precision, I feel that the simple yet rugged design is what sets it apart from a lot of other targets on the market. Using whatever length furring strips you want allows you a cheap and easy way to customize the target to whatever your needs. Getting ready for hunting small game, put the target down low where you need it. Prepping for a Zombie hoard attack, move it up and take em out. As I see it, the only real limitations to this target stand is your imagination.
For more information, visit CTK Precision.
Reviewed By: Craig Millsap