When you think of range safety equipment, you probably think of eye and ear protection. For many people, that’s as far as it goes. But, what if something went wrong at the range and you, or someone else, was faced with a life threatening bleeding injury? Would you have the medical equipment necessary to give that person (or yourself) a fighting chance? Think about it, most shooting ranges are several miles from a medical facility.
Last week I received the Emergency Personal Injury Kit (EPIK) from AR500 Armor (yes, they make much more than just body armor). This MOLLE pouch is loaded with supplies that quite simply, could save a life.
AR500 Armor Tactical EPIK Specs & Contents:
- Dimensions: 6″ x 7.5″
- Thickness: 3.5″
- (1) Celox 35g Hemostatic Granule Packet
- (1) Swat-Tourniquet (Swat-T, Tourniquet, Pressure Dressing, or Elastic Bandage) OR SOF Wide Tourniquet
- (2) Foxseal Chest Seals (in single package) – or equivalent based on availability
- (1) Olaes 4″ Modular Emergency Bandage (Includes compressed Z-Fold gauze, and Occlusive Dressing within the bandage)
- (1) H&H PriMed Compressed Gauze – 4.5″ x 4.1 yards
- (1) Trauma Shears
- (1) 4″ Compressed Bandage
- (1) Waterproof Medical Tape – .5″ x 2.5 yards
- (1) Pair Heavy Duty Black Nitrile Medical Gloves (Large)
- (1) Tactical EPIK MOLLE Pouch
- (1) Color matching removable Velcro medical patch
In interest of full-disclosure, I’m going to go ahead and admit that the EPIK is equipped with several items I don’t know how to use. So I most certainly am going to spend some time researching these items, and I would recommend you do the same. Sure, it is great to have this kind of gear. But in the event of an emergency, that last thing you want to have to do it break out your smart phone and try to figure out how to use the gear that is designed to save a life.
The EPIK will now be a part of my standard range gear. As I become more familiar with the kit, I’ll report back with more thoughts.
I certainly don’t want to imply that the AR500 Armor Tactical EPIK is limited to being “range gear”. You don’t have to be at a shooting range to be faced with a life threatening bleeding injury. As far as I’m concerned, a kit like this is something every family should have and know how to use.
Stay tuned for more on the AR500 Armor Tactical Emergency Personal Injury Kit (EPIK)…
Items shown in the above picture:
AR500 Armor Tactical Emergency Personal Injury Kit
CTK Precision P3 Ultimate Shooting Rest
Kavod Custom KVD-15 Rifle
- Magpul Angled Fore Grip
- Odin Works 15″ Sport Rail
- Midwest Industries SPLP Sights